Police are investigating the mysterious death of a 15-year old girl amid fears she suffered a fatal allergic reaction to a takeaway meal.
Megan Lee was taken ill after eating the food from a restaurant near her Lancashire home last Friday.
She was rushed to the Royal Blackburn Hospital but died two days later on New Year’s Day with a post mortem inconclusive.
The teenager, from Oswaldtwistle, near Accrington, lived with father Adam, 35, and mother Gemma, 33, who said she ‘touched the hearts of everyone she ever met’.
In a statement Megan’s parents said: ‘A role model, an inspiration, our princess, our Megan.
‘Our hearts are shattered at the sudden loss of our beautiful daughter.
‘Megan loved school and thoroughly enjoyed drama and musical theatre.
‘She immediately touched the hearts of everyone she ever met.
‘Megan was the kindest, most loving daughter and sister, who always wore the most beautiful and infectious smile.’
A keen actress, she was also a member of the ReAct Academy of Theatre Arts in Oswaldtwistle and starred in many of its productions.
Academy bosses described the teenager as one of their ‘brightest and most loved young stars’.
Cassandra Webster, principal of the ReAct Academy of Theatre Arts, which is based at the Civic Theatre, described Megan as an ‘exceptional girl’ and said the whole company was heartbroken.
She said: ‘She was a student for more than five years. She was just an exceptional girl. She was very bright.
‘We are all heartbroken. We will miss her tremendously and she will always be remembered.’
She said Megan was due to star in a production of West Side Side Story in June which will be dedicated to her.
‘She was one of a kind and it is just such a shock and a devastating thing that has happened,’ she said.
‘She loved being on stage singing and dancing.
‘She had a fantastic group of friends who all loved her.
‘We have seen her grow from a a quiet little girl to this fantastic enthusiastic driven young lady who seized every opportunity.
‘You can’t justify what has happened. It is so unfair and one of those horrific things.’
Richard Jones, headteacher at St Christopher’s, also paid tribute to the youngster.
He said: ‘As a school community, governors, staff and pupils, we offer our thoughts and prayers to the Lee family at this difficult and testing time.
‘Megan was a most wonderful young lady who brought a smile to the face of everyone that she met.
‘She was the epitome of a St Christopher’s pupil, bright, articulate, thoughtful and caring, and full of so much potential.
‘We miss her terribly and will continue to in the days, months and years to come.’
In a Facebook post to Megan’s mother, Jayne Procter said: ‘I can’t imagine what you’re going through my thoughts and prayers are with you all, so so sorry its heartbreaking, no words can ever make you feel better but knowing people are thinking of you and are there for you does help.’
James Murray said: ‘Why do such awful things happen to good people!! So sorry for your loss pal!! My thoughts are with you and your famil
A police spokeswoman said: ‘We are investigating the sudden death of a 15-year-old girl from Oswaldtwistle who passed away at Royal Blackburn Hospital after suffering a severe allergic reaction.
‘She had eaten food from a takeaway in the Hyndburn area and was admitted to hospital on Friday but sadly passed away on New Year’s Day.
‘We are currently carrying out enquiries on behalf of the coroner.
‘A post mortem examination to establish the cause of her death has taken place, however the full results will not be known for some time.
‘Our thoughts remain with the family of the girl at this extremely sad and difficult time.’
Cllr Peter Britcliffe, who represent Oswaldtwistle on Hyndburn Council, said: ‘It is really tragic. My thoughts go out to her family and friends.’